Gene Wieneke

Monday, August 01, 2005

Announcement of candidacy for Mayor

Tomorrow morning I will file an affidavit affirming my candidacy for the position of Mayor for the City of Northglenn, CO.

We have a good community that is entitled to a prosperous future. Unfortunately, the present Mayor, Council leadership and City Manager have engaged in deficit spending for the past four years. If we are to remain a viable city with practical realities, some major changes need to be made at City Hall. Being innovative at your expense does not provide you with essential services.

I am currently employed by RTD. Prior to April 1995, I served as a manager in several cities for twenty-five plus years throughout the Central and Western United States. My wife and I have resided in Northglenn since 1994.

I am currently a member of the Northglenn Board of Adjustment and previously served as a member of the Northglenn Urban Renewal Authority (NURA) until relieved by the Mayor in April of this year. I authored two initiated ordinances: The restriction on the use of our Water fund monies and the calling of an election on the Recreation Center Expansion Project over the formal objection of the Mayor and Council. I also wrote the amendment to the Charter which will be before the voters this fall. The amendment creates a Water and Sewer Fund and prohibits the City from using the money for any other purpose. Should the fund ever accumulate too much revenue; cut the rates and the taxes. Don’t deceive the public.

When I volunteered for the Board and NURA, my sole intention was too serve my city in an advisory position. Presentations and comments by the City Manager and Mayor last fall on the massive improvements to the recreation center conflicted with my idea of common fiscal sense. As it has turned out, the proposed retail area north of the building is moving forward without the expensive improvements to the center. You may recall that the proposed retail area was the major selling point used by City leadership.

Since the recreation center election I have learned that there is a pattern of indiscriminate spending by the current elected and appointed leadership contrary to your best interests. Some of this information has been shared with you through the press and more will soon be presented. Please check my web log and flyers as they are distributed.

My number one reason for seeking your support is to change a fiscal mentality that is seriously compromising our ability to remain a viable city. Trendy is nice but you deserve common sense and a Mayor and Council that you can trust to stay at home and tend to your interests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home