Gene Wieneke

Friday, October 14, 2005

A Senior's Question

I want to thank the individuals who asked me about my opinion of the needs of seniors. I'm sixty-three and will be taking an early retirement on Thanksgiving. I am very sensitive to my own future as well yours.
/
In the campaign on the January recreation center expansion I and others were critical of the massive debt which was proposed as well as the total consumption of the Urban Renewal Authority's revenues for twenty years. In the inside of the flyer, I brought out the fact the present senior center had been designated as a multi-purpose room. I was very opposed to the change. We needed a space we could call our community home with amenities designed for our needs.
/
I have been a strong proponent of moving forward with some rehabilitation of the recreation center. Because the Council dropped the ball after the election, I appeared before them in June and proposed they join with us in conducting an accurate and valid survey of the residents on the building's future. They have refused and are now evaluating the staff's proposals; not ours. The staff is proposing a project costing $13 million plus financing costs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home