Gene Wieneke

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

120th Avenue Development Update

I understand my previous article picked up a little attention at a meeting Monday night. Since my posting, Zing and Prime West have signed the agreement approved by the City Council last May per the Mayor and City Manager. Since NURA has not signed it, the clock or count down on the performance requirements contained in the agreement has not started.

I was also told by a reliable source that Zing and the City Manager are still working hard at luring some businesses to the area. Even without an agreement, efforts are being made and they hope to have good news in time for the Council election. Understand, that is not their motive but it would be a bonus this election year. Since the City and NURA have ten million dollars invested in the land, building demolitions and reconstruction of Grant Street, I am sure we all want Zing and the Manager to succeed.

I mentioned the 2005 election due to an unpleasant memory. Remember the groundbreaking for the Century Theatre that was scheduled, postponed due to weather and finally held just before the mayoral election? I told you then that it was a contrived, bogus public relations stunt; and it was. I hope there is no repeat this year with the “good news” we should be hearing soon.

I would also like to head off another maneuver on the future recreation center ballot. In late 2004 the city staff included a “fact sheet” in the water bills. I asked if residents could also include a “fact sheet”. I was told that it would be improper and my request was denied. The idea of doing an insert in the bills for this ballot has already been mentioned at a council meeting this year. Let’s hope not.

2 Comments:

  • Is the council seeking businesses for the old Albertson's mall at Huron and 104th. The Blockbusters business has now vacated and I noticed yesterday that Northside Paint is moving to 124th and Huron (probably in Westminster). I think that area desperately needs a grocery store. there are apartments close by (I used to see residents walking home with grocery bags of stuff) and many residents who might shop there rather than go to 104th and Federal, 104th and Washington or 84th and Pecos. I think it's a shame that a grocery store can't be lured into that location.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

  • The city staff is attempting to find a tenant for the old Albertson's but it will not and cannot be a food store due to restrictions on the property between the property owner and Albertson's. The City has chosen not to place the area in the urban renewal project area. That decision eliminates the ability of the city to offer incentives so the future of the building is bleak.

    By Blogger Gene Wieneke, at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home