Gene Wieneke

Friday, August 18, 2006

Council Direction on Ballot Issues

Last week the City Council members involved themselves in a social issue when they endorsed one of the fifteen ballot issues scheduled for the State-wide election this November. There are fourteen additional issues and only three of them will affect the operation of municipal government.

Referendum F modifies recall-election laws. Initiated Amendment 38 makes it easier to propose initiatives through out the State. Initiated Amendment 41 is intended to stop public employees from accepting gratuities. The remaining eleven are social and/or other issues unrelated to municipal government operations.

If the City Council wants to tell us the consequences of F, 38 and 41 from their standpoint, fine. But don't tell us how to vote on them and don't even comment on the other eleven issues. One mistake is enough and I have my own norms and mores just like you.

3 Comments:

  • I think you are somewhat disingenuous by hiding behind your unnamed "values" rather than stating what endorsement you disagree with. Be honest for a change and admit that you don't think that gay and lesbian taxpayers deserve the same rights as everyone else.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 PM  

  • My My, don't we jump to conclusions. When you vote on the 15 ballot issues this November just be thankful that the people we elected to operate our local government did not go on to tell you how to vote on all of them.

    By Blogger Gene Wieneke, at 4:38 PM  

  • Quite frankly, I prefer to read the measures, study them and make up my own mind. So the council's position won't sway me one way or the other.

    I do, however, pay attention to how politicians and candidates stand on various issues. And that does have a definite impact on how I vote with regards to candidates.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home